AXC - The bike

AXC - The bike

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tempus Fugit



2 months.
My trip starts in just 2 months.

This seems surreal to me. Since I decided to do this in the fall, it felt so far away. And there was so much to do to get ready; buy a new bike, pay for the trip, etc. Now that 95% of the details are taken care of, all that’s left to do now is wait! When I signed up, this trip was 8 months away. But beyond that, this is something I’ve been thinking of and wanting to do for almost 8 years. And now, it feels simultaneously right around the corner, and an eternity away!

And with the start of the trip looming, I’m wondering if I’m ready. Thinking about this constantly and doing mental checks that I have everything I need. Dotting all the ‘i's and crossing the ‘t’s, taking care of the last bits of logistics. Starting to get a little nervous about the overall cost of the trip (going without a salary for 3 months), and worrying that I’m not training as much as I should. (This, at least, is a recurring theme – since its how I feel before every race I’ve ever done. Sometimes it was justified, most times not.) And at the same time, I’m giddy like a kid getting ready for his first trip to Disneyland!

Also, other aspects of the trip are starting to come together. The tour leader set up an e-mail list for people to introduce themselves and start chatting and asking questions. I’ve ‘met’ 6 people so far (out of 14). I have some of the trip details that I didn’t have before, like start location and how we’re all meeting up. Where we’re going to dip our back wheel in the Atlantic, and little things like doing a group bike maintenance check.

So, while I wait, I’ll at least try to take advantage of the nice weather this weekend and go for a bike ride.
It’ll help pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment